In Zapskovye there is a very beautiful place called Gremyachaya Gora. In the 12-13 centuries, the Gremyatsky Monastery was founded here, from which only the buildings of the 16th century have survived today – the refectory, the Church of Cosmas and Damian and the Gremyachaya Tower. The tower is the only one in Pskov, the time of construction of which is precisely known – 1525. To the west of Gremyachaya Mountain in Zapskovye are the Church of the Icon Not Made by Hands (17th century), the Church of the Epiphany from Zapskovye (15th century), the Church of Elijah the Prophet from the Wet Meadow (17th century), the Church of the Resurrection from the Stadium (16th century) and the Church of Cosmas and Damian from Primostye (15th century).
According to The Dress Explorer, the main museum of the city is the Pskov State United Historical, Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve. The museum includes the Pogankin Chambers, the building of the art-industrial school named after N.F. Van der Fleet, the Order Chamber, the Mirozhsky Monastery, the memorial museums of the architect-restorer Yu.P. Spegalsky and V.I. Lenin, the house of “Iskra” and the house of Mason. Its collections include monumental paintings of the most ancient cathedrals of Pskov. and surroundings, archaeological objects from the Mesolithic era to the early 18th century, a collection of Russian and Western European paintings of the 18th-20th centuries, a collection of icons of the 14th-18th centuries, works of silversmiths of the 16th-20th centuries from different cities of Russia and Western European jewelers and samples of Russian book culture. The Pskov State United Historical, Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve is one of the oldest museums in Russia and one of the largest cultural institutions in the Northwestern region. Snetogorsky Monastery is located 3.5 km from Pskov downstream of the Velikaya River.. The monastery was founded in the 13th century on an elevated area on the right bank of the Velikaya River. Together with the Mirozhsky Monastery, Snetogorsky became the hallmark of the city. The oldest building of the monastery is the Nativity Cathedral, which is a copy of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior in the Mirozh Monastery. The main attraction of the cathedral is its frescoes, which are unique in that they show biblical scenes in free form. A monument to Alexander Nevsky was erected in the vicinity of the city on Mount Sokolikha in 1993.. It was from this place that the united Russian army began its movement to Lake Peipsi, where in 1242 the famous battle took place – the Battle of the Ice. The monument is made of bronze, has a height of 30 m and a weight of 136 tons. It represents Alexander Nevsky, who is sitting on horseback, and several Russian soldiers. Vybuty churchyard is located 15 km from Pskov. It is believed that it was here that Princess Olga was born and it was here that she met Prince Igor. The historical value of the place is emphasized by the installed memorial sign in the form of a pyramid of boulders, topped with a forged cross. One of the main attractions of the Pskov region is the State Historical, Architectural and Natural Landscape Museum-Reserve “Izborsk”, which is located 30 km west of Pskov near the village of Stary Izborsk. On the 8,000 hectares occupied by the museum-reserve, historical and archaeological monuments, monuments of ancient Russian defense, religious and civil architecture and natural landscape environment are concentrated. Old Izborsk is considered one of the most ancient settlements in Russia.. Archaeologically proven that people lived here in the 8th century. The Izborsk fortress of the 14th-15th centuries, which has survived to this day, is a wonderful monument of ancient Russian defensive architecture. In the fortress there is Nikolsky Cathedral (first half of the 15th century) with a bell tower, next to which there is an underground hiding place where the inhabitants of Izborsk took water during the days of sieges. The museum-reserve also includes the Truvorovo Gorodische, which laid the foundation for Izborsk and where you can see the remains of ramparts and stone fortifications, the ensemble of the Malsky Monastery of the 15th century on the shores of the Malsky Lake, many chapels and the village of Sigovo, home to the ancient Seto people that appeared as a result resettlement of Estonians to Russian lands during the Livonian War. In addition to historical sights, Izborsk is famous for its nature. The Izborsko-Malskaya valley extends here. The valley became famous in the 17th century, thanks to the “Slovenian keys”, which were considered healing and miraculous. Today, “Slovenskie Klyuchi” is revered by Christians – their water, rich in calcium and mineral salts, relieves believers from ailments, and many legends are associated with the places where the springs come from.
From Stary Izborsk one can travel further west to the border town of Pechory. One of the oldest monasteries in Russia operates here – the Pskov-Pechora Holy Dormition Orthodox Monastery. Its ensemble took shape in the period from the 16th to the 19th centuries. The founder of the monastery is the Monk Jonah, who in 1473 built the Assumption Church on this site. The environs of the Pechora Monastery are replete with karst caves. From the moment the monastery was founded, they began to bury monks in them, and over time, a whole necropolis was formed here. The peculiarity of this necropolis is that the bodies of the dead remain incorrupt. Now in the monastery necropolis there are crypts filled with coffins. Representatives of the Pushkin, Nazimov, Buturlin families, relatives of M. I. Kutuzov, the poet A. N. Pleshcheev and the composer M. P. Mussorgsky were buried here.
120 km southeast of Pskov in the village of Pushkinskiye Gory is located State Memorial Historical, Literary and Natural Landscape Museum-Reserve of A.S. Pushkin “Mikhailovskoe”. This place is associated with the work of the famous Russian writer. By decree of Empress Elizaveta Petrovna, the lands in the vicinity of the Pushkin Mountains were granted eternal possession to Pushkin’s great-grandfather, Abram Petrovich Gannibal. It was here that in the 30s of the 19th century A.S. Pushkin was in exile. In 1992, the family estate was declared reserved. The structure of the reserve includes: the museum-estate “Mikhailovskoye”, the museum-estate “Trigorskoye”, the museum-estate “Petrovskoye”, the museum “Mill in the village of Bugrovo”, the scientific and cultural center, the Svyatogorsky monastery and the grave of A.S. Pushkin. In total, more than seventy monuments of history and culture are located on the territory of the museum-reserve, and its fund includes about 37,000 items. The greatest value is the collection of things belonging to the Hannibal-Pushkin family, which at different times were acquired from the descendants of a great family. By visiting these places, you will be able to get acquainted with the life and work of Pushkin of the Mikhailovsky period, his environment, the life of the Russian village of the early 19th century and the noble estates of that time. Near the local Svyatogorsk monastery (16th century), the ashes of A.S. Pushkin. He was buried here in 1837. Grave of A.S. Pushkin is crowned with a marble monument.
There are many lakes in the Pskov region, the largest of them is located in its northwestern part on the border with Estonia – this is Lake Peipsi-Pskovskoye. It ranks fourth in Europe in size, its area is 3550 sq. km. The lake consists of three parts: Lake Peipus, Lake Pskov and the strait connecting them – Warm Lake. More than half of the area of Lake Peipus-Pskov belongs to Russia. This is a great place for recreation and fishing. Valuable commercial fish species are found here: pike perch, vendace, bream, whitefish, pike, burbot and the famous Pskov smelt. On the shores of Lake Pskov there is a wetland of international importance “Pskov-Chudskaya lakeside lowland”. This is the most valuable reserve of many rare plants and animals in the Baltic region, the most important resting and feeding place for birds on the White Sea-Baltic flyway.