Montgomery, Indiana is situated in Daviess County and has a population of approximately 2,500. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Indiana. It is located on the east side of the Wabash River, just north of the city of Washington. The terrain is mostly flat with gently rolling hills. The climate in Montgomery is generally temperate with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Montgomery dates back to 1816 when it was founded by John Tipton. In the mid-1800s, it became a hub for riverboat trade on the Wabash River and continued to grow as an agricultural center throughout the 19th century. In the 20th century, Montgomery developed into a commercial center and many businesses were established in town during this time.
Politically, Montgomery leans towards conservative ideals and its citizens are represented by local officials who are mostly Republican. The economy in Montgomery is primarily driven by small businesses, agriculture, and tourism that come to visit its historical sites such as Fort Tipton (which was built in 1811) or take advantage of its recreational activities like fishing on the Wabash River or visiting nearby Patoka Lake State Recreation Area.
Education in Montgomery includes two elementary schools that serve students from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade as well as one high school that serves grades 9-12. There are also several private schools located nearby providing religious or specialized education options for families who desire them.
The most prominent landmark in Montgomery is undoubtedly Fort Tipton which still stands today as a reminder of its rich history and connection to early America’s westward expansion efforts through Indiana’s frontier lands. Other notable landmarks include historic homes such as the John Tipton House (built circa 1820) which sits on top of a hill overlooking downtown Montgomery; several churches including St Mary’s Catholic Church (built circa 1890); and some old structures such as what remains of an old railroad bridge crossing over Big Creek near downtown Montgomery which served trains until 1951 when it was closed down due to safety concerns.
Population: 368. Estimated population in July 2020: 381 (+3.5% change)
Males: 185 (50.3%), Females: 183 (49.7%)
Zip code: 47558
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $36,944
Median house value: $54,500
Races in Montgomery:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.4%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (25.0%), Irish (23.9%), United States (15.8%), English (11.7%), Dutch (2.4%), Scottish (1.9%).
Elevation: 533 feet
Land area: 0.2 square miles
Montgomery, Indiana is a small town located in Daviess County in the state of Indiana. As of the 2019 census, the population was estimated to be 1,072. The median household income for Montgomery is around $51,000 and the median home value is about $136,000. The cost of living in Montgomery is relatively low compared to other cities in Indiana. Housing costs are quite affordable with a median rent price of just under $800 per month. The average utility bill for electricity and gas is around $150 per month. Groceries and other goods can be purchased at local stores at reasonable prices as well. Overall, Montgomery provides its residents with a great quality of life while still maintaining affordability.
The city also has plenty to offer when it comes to entertainment and recreation activities. There are several parks in the area that provide outdoor activities such as hiking and biking trails, playgrounds, fishing ponds, picnic areas and more. Additionally, there are a number of restaurants that serve delicious food ranging from classic American fare to international cuisine. For those looking for more cultural experiences there are several art galleries located throughout town featuring local artists’ work as well as performances from national touring acts at the nearby theater venues. All these attractions make Montgomery an ideal place for families looking for an affordable yet enjoyable place to live!
For population 25 years and over in Montgomery
- High school or higher: 76.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montgomery town
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 61.3%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 9.1%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +17 (+4.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Montgomery:
- DAVIESS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; WASHINGTON, IN)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL & HLTH CARE CENTER (about 20 miles; JASPER, IN)
- DEACONESS ST JOSEPH’S HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; HUNTINGBURG, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montgomery:
- MONROE COUNTY (about 44 miles; BLOOMINGTON, IN; Abbreviation: BMG)
- EVANSVILLE REGIONAL (about 55 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Abbreviation: EVV)
- TERRE HAUTE INTERNATIONAL-HULMAN FIELD (about 57 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Abbreviation: HUF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montgomery:
- DAVIESS COUNTY (about 6 miles; WASHINGTON, IN; Abbreviation: DCY)
- SHAWNEE FIELD (about 26 miles; BLOOMFIELD, IN; Abbreviation: 1I3)
- MORRISON FLIGHT PARK (about 27 miles; LINTON, IN; Abbreviation: 4U8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montgomery:
- VINCENNES UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; VINCENNES, IN; Full-time enrollment: 6,201)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-BLOOMINGTON (about 51 miles; BLOOMINGTON, IN; Full-time enrollment: 33,835)
- TRINITY THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY-TRINITY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; NEWBURGH, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,986)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-WABASH VALLEY (about 56 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,099)
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE (about 59 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,440)
- INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 9,597)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN INDIANA (about 63 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,510)
Public high school in Montgomery:
- BARR REEVE JR-SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 316; Location: 3RD ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high school in Montgomery:
- PLEASANTVIEW CHRISTIAN DAY SCH (Students: 42; Location: R R 2 BOX 74 % JOHN N KNEPP; Grades: 1 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Montgomery:
- BARR REEVE INTERMEDIATE SCH (Students: 318; Location: 3RD ST; Grades: 02 – 06)
- BARR REEVE PRIMARY GRADE SCH (Students: 120; Location: 3RD ST; Grades: KG – 01)
Private primary/middle schools in Montgomery:
- SHADY ACRES AMISH SCHOOL (Students: 61; Location: C/O JEREMY PARK RR 1 BOX 549; Grades: 1 – 8)
- SOUTH BOGARD AMISH SCHOOL (Students: 51; Location: RR 1 BOX 189; Grades: 1 – 8)
- PARSONS AMISH SCHOOL (Students: 49; Location: ROUTE 1 BOX 430; Grades: 1 – 8)
- GREEN ACRES AMISH SCHOOL (Students: 37; Location: RR 1 BOX 578; Grades: 1 – 8)