According to Campingship, Hoschton is located in Jackson County, Georgia. It is situated in a valley between two mountains, making it a great place for outdoor activities such as hiking and biking. The climate is mild with hot summers and cool winters. The area receives an average of 50 inches of rain per year, which helps keep the landscape lush and green.
Hoschton has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was settled by pioneers from North Carolina and Virginia. The town was officially incorporated in 1881 and has been growing ever since. In recent years, Hoschton has become a popular bedroom community for those who work in nearby cities such as Atlanta and Athens.
The political atmosphere in Hoschton is largely conservative, with Republicans dominating most elections at the local level. However, the city does have a few Democrats who hold office as well.
The economy of Hoschton is largely driven by agriculture, with farms and orchards being common throughout the area. Other industries include manufacturing, retail, tourism, health care, construction, education services, finance/banking/insurance and real estate/leasing services.
Schools in Hoschton are part of the Jackson County School System which includes five elementary schools (East Jackson Elementary School; West Jackson Elementary School; East Jackson Middle School; West Jackson Middle School; East Jackson High School). There are also several private schools available including Hoschton Christian Academy and Trinity Christian Academy.
When it comes to landmarks in Hoschton there are plenty to choose from! Some of these include: The Historic Downtown District with its antique stores; the Historic Railroad Depot Museum which features many artifacts from local history; the Braselton-Jackson County Airport which offers scenic flights over the area; Chateau Elan Winery & Resort which features vineyards as well as golf courses; Burt’s Farm which offers pick-your-own fruits and vegetables; Fort Yargo State Park which offers camping sites and trails for hiking/biking/horseback riding; Hardman Farm State Historic Site where visitors can experience life on an 1880s farmstead complete with original buildings and artifacts; plus many more!
Population: 1,070. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,455 (+36.0% change)
Males: 522 (48.8%), Females: 548 (51.2%)
Zip code: 30548
Median resident age: 34.5 years
Median household income: $50,625
Median house value: $153,100
Races in Hoschton:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.4%)
- Black (4.9%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
Ancestries: United States (14.8%), English (11.3%), German (9.7%), Irish (8.2%), Italian (1.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.6%).
Elevation: 918 feet
Land area: 2.4 square miles
Hoschton, Georgia is a small city located in Jackson County. According to the 2019 estimates from the US Census Bureau, the population of Hoschton is 2,212 people. The city has a median age of 33.2 years and a median household income of $60,542. The majority of the population is White (83.7%), followed by Black or African American (10.9%), Hispanic or Latino (3.1%), and Asian (1.8%). The city has seen significant growth over the past 10 years with an increase in population of 6%.
Hoschton is home to many businesses and employers, including several restaurants, retail stores, service providers, and medical offices. Many residents work in nearby cities such as Athens and Gainesville due to their proximity to Hoschton as well as access to larger employment opportunities than what can be found within the city itself. In addition to these businesses and employers, Hoschton also boasts several parks including Broad Street Park and Legacy Park which offer recreational activities for all ages such as sports fields, walking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas, and more. Additionally Hoschton hosts regular events throughout the year such as Music on Main Street which provides live music in downtown Hoschton every other Friday night during summer months.
For population 25 years and over in Hoschton
- High school or higher: 79.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hoschton city
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 63.6%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.3%
- Divorced: 9.6%
3.5% Foreign born (2.2% Latin America, 0.9% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +527 (+97.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hoschton:
- BARROW COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; WINDER, GA)
- NORTHEAST GEORGIA MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; GAINESVILLE, GA)
- GWINNETT HOSPITAL SYSTEM (about 19 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hoschton:
- ATHENS/BEN EPPS (about 33 miles; ATHENS, GA; Abbreviation: AHN)
- DOBBINS AIR RESERVE BASE (about 53 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Abbreviation: MGE)
- THE WILLIAM B HARTSFIELD ATLANTA INTL (about 56 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Abbreviation: ATL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hoschton:
- WINDER-BARROW (about 12 miles; WINDER, GA; Abbreviation: WDR)
- LEE GILMER MEMORIAL (about 13 miles; GAINESVILLE, GA; Abbreviation: GVL)
- JACKSON COUNTY (about 16 miles; JEFFERSON, GA; Abbreviation: 19A)
Amtrak station near Hoschton:
- 14 miles: GAINESVILLE (104 SE 1ST AVE.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hoschton:
- GAINESVILLE COLLEGE (about 14 miles; OAKWOOD, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,181)
- GWINNETT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 19 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,215)
- UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA (about 29 miles; ATHENS, GA; Full-time enrollment: 28,464)
- NORTH GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; DAHLONEGA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,119)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 44 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- GEORGIA PERIMETER COLLEGE (about 44 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 8,213)
- EMORY UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 10,839)
Public primary/middle schools in Hoschton:
- DUNCAN CREEK ELEMENTARY (Students: 934; Location: 4500 BRASELTON HIGHWAY; Grades: PK – 05)
- WEST JACKSON INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 411; Location: GA HWY 53 AND WEST JACKSON ROA; Grades: 03 – 05)