This city gate from the 13th century is not only the oldest building, but also the landmark of Anklam, a city of Germany according to ehealthfacts. It is a 32-meter-high example of brick Gothic, which has been preserved as the only city gate from Anklam’s earlier fortifications. The regional history museum, founded in 1927, has been housed in the gate since 1989, which in the meantime also served as a prison. Those who take it upon themselves to climb the 111 steps to the roof of the stone gate can enjoy a fabulous panoramic view of Anklam from above.
St. Mary’s Church
The older of the two large Anklam town churches, first mentioned in 1296, is a brick building with a Gothic four-story tower. The original church from the Middle Ages may have been Romanesque. Inside, the church captivates with its wonderful pillar and belt arch paintings, which certainly go back to Stralsund artists.
The second large town church in Anklam was first mentioned in a document in 1300 and was built in the Gothic style. In 1945 the church was badly damaged by bombing, so that only the tower stump and the surrounding walls remain. It was not until 1999 that the church was opened to the public again, although the ruins were restored until 2003. The Christian church is now used for various events and exhibitions.
Otto Lilienthal Museum
The museum, which opened in 1996, exhibits some unique exhibits that provide information about the life of the aviation pioneer and native Otto Lilienthal. You can marvel at replicas of all the important Lilienthal flying machines there.
Museum am Steintor
The Museum am Steintor, a regional history museum, has been housed in the Anklamer Steintor since 1989, an old fortified gate from the 13th century. It gives interesting insights into the city’s history and offers not only permanent but also changing exhibitions. Those who take it upon themselves to climb the 111 steps to the roof of the stone gate can enjoy a fabulous panoramic view of Anklam from above.
The Anklam theater has existed since 1949. Since 1951 it has been located in a half-timbered house that was built in 1870 as the Anklam Schützenhaus. Not only theater classics are performed, but also serious and rather cheerful contemporary drama. The theater has a capacity of around 200 seats and a club stage with 95 seats.
Special buildings and structures
The Alte Post, which was founded in 1716, is located on Steinstrasse. After several changes of location, the post office was established in the current Wilhelminian style building in 1878. However, only lettering and post horns reveal the former use, because in 1997 the post office moved out of the building, which is a listed building due to its history and architecture.
This city gate from the 13th century is not only the oldest building, but also the landmark of Anklam. It is a 32-meter-high example of brick Gothic, which has been preserved as the only city gate from Anklam’s earlier fortifications. The regional history museum, founded in 1927, has been housed in the gate since 1989, which in the meantime also served as a prison. Those who take it upon themselves to climb the 111 steps to the roof of the stone gate can enjoy a fabulous panoramic view of Anklam from above.
Monument to Otto Lilienthal
The monument to Anklam’s most famous child was once created by the sculptor Walther Preik and represents a column made of fiberglass-reinforced polyester resin that reaches a height of 16 meters. It was initially on the Anklamer market since 1982 and has been on the horse market since the end of 2007.
hospital The former garrison hospital is located on Friedländer Landstrasse. After it had been used as a civilian house between 1919 and the mid-1930s and from 1936 as a branch of the Swinoujscie military district command, a company kindergarten was added during the Second World War. After 1945 it was first used for civilian purposes, then it was used by the military district command and the police station. But it has been empty since 1990.
Gothic gabled house
Located on the horse market and mentioned for the first time in 1406, this building is the oldest surviving town house in Anklam. The facade of the impressive building is lavishly decorated and reveals the city’s former wealth. The Gothic gabled house was renovated by 1997. Today the registry office is housed here, but also the parliamentary group rooms of the parties that are represented in the city parliament.
Heilig-Geist-Stift (City Hall II)
The former monastery in today’s Burgstrasse, first mentioned in 1272, was once dedicated to caring for the poor and the sick. A nursing home was housed in the building until 1993 (since 1958), but it had to be closed due to backwardness. After a considerable renovation, the former monastery has been the City Hall II since 1996.
This Landwehr tower was built in 1458 and is a cylindrical brick building that rests on a hexagonal floor plan. It was once used to warn the townspeople because it gave smoke signals in case of danger.
War school established
in Friedländer Landstrasse in 1870/71, the seventh royal war school in Prussia trained ensigns until 1919. Afterwards it served various institutions: the riot police of the Weimar Republic, an SA sports school, the air force and later as accommodation for the guards of the Wehrmacht prison built on the farm. After serving as a residential building for a long time after the war, it became uninhabitable due to two major fires (1996 and 1998).
The interesting half-timbered house on Baustraße used to be one of three poor houses in Anklam and was apparently donated to twelve poor people in 1448 by the then mayor Arndt, as an inscription on the entablature of the gable reveals.
Opened in 1895 as the first of its kind in Pomerania, Warmbad was closed in the 1970s. The “Hotel Am Stadtwall” has been housed here since 1992. The external shape of the building was not changed.
The former Wehrmacht prison is right next to the former war school. It was built in 1920 and has been used as the largest Wehrmacht prison in northern Germany since 1940. Between 1952 and 1990 it was a grain silo and a few years later it was a “memorial for the victims of the fascist military penal institution Anklam”. The building is currently empty. As a wonderful example of brick architecture, it has become an architectural monument.
After several years of construction, the newly designed Anklams marketplace was inaugurated in 2004. It forms the heart of the city. The market was not an open place until 1842. In addition to the town hall, it was surrounded by other structures. But in 1841/42 the buildings had to be demolished and an open market place was created. In 1952 the town hall was added on the north side of the square. The Anklam market square is divided by horizontal stripes. Linden trees form its frame. The most important processes in the city’s history can be found on the sandstone slabs by means of large letters.